February 17, 2022
If you want to establish a successful presence online, then social media marketing needs to be part of your overall marketing strategy. Not only is social media a great way to advertise, but it also presents a unique opportunity to build genuine relationships with your customers. No other platform will give you the kind of reach that social media marketing will. It is estimated that there are around 4 billion social media users worldwide, and the average person spends 2 hours 22 minutes on social platforms. If your business is not taking advantage of this opportunity, you are leaving money on the table.
Let’s look at how often you need to update your social media accounts for an effective social media marketing strategy.
An important part of social media marketing is making sure that your social media accounts accurately represent you and your business. Before we look at what to post, let’s talk about auditing your social media accounts. So many businesses just set up their social media accounts and leave it at that. However, as your business grows and evolves, it is important to update your profiles to reflect the current values of your brand. At least once every 3 to 6 months, you should look at your contact information and bio to make sure everything is up to date. Some important things to look for include:
As part of your social media marketing audit, you should look at the social media platforms that are worth dedicating your time to. You don’t have to be on every single platform, just the ones where your target demographic is hanging out. Facebook is the largest platform with almost 3 billion monthly active users, so it is a safe bet to start with. Not only is it popular across all demographics, but it is also great for building relationships with your customers. You will also want to consider platforms like Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Pinterest, TikTok, and YouTube. Take a look at the demographics each one is most popular with and see which aligns with your target audience. The more social media platforms you decide to use, the more time and effort it will take to manage them. Choosing 2 or 3 that you build to a high standard is better than ten low-quality profiles.
Most people search for an easy answer to the question of how often I should post on social media. However, the reality is that there is no single answer! This will be different for every brand, and even from one platform to the next. The truth is, while you do need to post consistently to maintain engagement, we find that quality is much more important than quantity. It is better to post 2 or 3 good quality, well-researched posts each week than to fill up your feed posting junk every few hours! The key to any good social media marketing strategy is good content. Ask yourself what your post will achieve. Is it offering something of value? Great social media content should educate, entertain, or evoke emotion!
Once you have cleaned up your profiles, decided where to post and how often; the next logical step is choosing what to post! The one big mistake that many businesses make is using social media to sell to their followers. Now, you may be confused because isn’t the point of Social Media Marketing to grow your business and sell more of your product. The answer isn’t that simple. Most people are scrolling through social media to pass the time. They don’t want to be bombarded by sales pitches and ads all of the time. That is more likely to put them off doing business with you! Instead, you will want to follow an 80/20 ratio. That means only 20% of your content should be a sales pitch or call to action. The other 80% of the posts you share are of value to your audience. Some examples could include:
These tips have barely scratched the surface of what it takes to have a successful social media marketing strategy, but they should have provided some hints and ideas. If you need help developing your internet marketing plans, get in touch with bluedress INTERNET MARKETING® today.
To Your Best Online!
Ingrid Maddox, Internet Marketing & Strategy Consultant. bluedress INTERNET MARKETING®, an Internet Marketing Company headquartered in Knoxville, TN. Internet Marketing Developed, Implemented, and Managed to Full Circle! Organic Internet Search Engine Guru. Turn-Key Internet Optimization Programs Placing You Everywhere and Anywhere You Need to Be Online.